Not such a smooth ride

 Aggravation and frustration are just a few of the things that I'm feeling now. These tires I'm running are not supposed to flat. Supreme puncture resistance is supposed to be their claim to fame. The other morning I awoke to a flat rear tire. I did everything you are supposed to do. Check the inside of the tire for anything sharp protruding the inner belts that would cause a flat. I felt one small sharp wire through the tread and thought I removed it successfully.  Installed a new tube and off I went. 35 miles into my ride I felt that tell tale wiggly of the rear end. Another flat. What the hell? Not wanting to pull the panniers to change a flat on the side of a hot, sunny busy road I decided to try and pump up the tire and see how far I could go. Wiggle wobble a short time later it was soft again. With less than four miles to town I pumped it up again. Hopefully I can get there.

 Baker City is a small city in eastern Oregon.  I arrived in town, and with a rest day planned. I didn't want to camp and I wanted to enjoy a little air conditioning while I recouped.  Who knew there was an Old Home Week celebration and a rodeo in town this weekend. Good luck finding a hotel room on a Saturday night.  Thankfully there is a cyclist hostel in town. I wasn't optimistic about my staying there. The notes on my route instructions said they wanted 48 hour notification for lodging. Luckily after calling Brian the proprietor and explaining my situation he told me to come over to the Churchhill Bike and Ski Hostel. The hostel is a very nice place . Located in an old school that has been transformed into an art incubator space, concert venue and hostel. 

Upon arrival the first thing was to get a little settled have something cold to drink and tackle that flat rear tire. Off it came ( not so easy or quick with panniers) with hope of solving the problem. Again I carefully visually inspected the tire, felt carefully around the interior of the tire I could not find the cause of the puncture.  More frustration and aggravation followed. There has to be something causing the problem. Why can't I find it? I patched the tube and threw the wheel back on. A late dinner followed. Sunday morningg I awoke to another flat tire! What the f%#@. 

Again off came the rear tire. This time I was smart enough to swap the front tire and tube onto the back wheel. It is so much easier to drop the front wheel to fix a flat. This time I felt a small sharp item in the tire. After digging around with a knife point I think I got it out. The only problem is now from the outside of the tire I can see the blue inner liner. Brian, from the hostel,  recommended using a tire boot or a tuffy tire liner. If one is good perhaps both will be better. The local Ace Hardware store had Green Slime tire liners. Not the easiest thing to install. The boot, a liner and a new tube hopefully have solved the problem. The local bike shop doesn't carry touring tires and the earliest Amazon could deliver was Thursday or Friday so that was a distant option. 

Right now after riding around for an hour today the tire is holding. I'll see tomorrow morning for sure if it holds. I need to keep moving on. The end looks farther and farther away. 

Four years ago when I did my first grand tour, for the most part everything was so smooth (except for a wheel explosion in Ellington Missouri) and uneventful. This trip it seems as though things are stacked against me. I considered quitting on day nine, but overcame that thought and pressed on. I'm glad I did. Now this tire problem has got me down in the dumps again. I know it's only a temporary delay/ problem that can be overcome and I need to press on. The next section I need to cover from here in Baker City through Idaho and over Lola Pass and on to Missoula Montana is remote with very few if any services not the place to have troubles.

Positive optimism has been hard to find and I know My Girl Fred would tell me to keep going. I'm strong enough to overcome such small obstacles and succeed on this trip. One peddle stroke at a time. Virginia here I come. 

Comments

Ted Rosenkrantz, MD said…
Bob: you have my support. Will think positive thoughts
Ted
Sandy said…
Bob,you will be in my prayers tonight and in the next days. There is probably some reason this happened. Maybe there would have been something worse if you had continued. Trust God to be on your side. Take a deep breath and continue.
Jimmy Hartman said…
Well done Robert. Just a small bump. You're doing awesome. I think of you every day. Thanks for your great updates. Hang in there buddy.
Jim
Anonymous said…
Better luck moving forward. The road offers great adventures, and good stories to go with the misadventures.

Chuck
Deborah said…
Oh Bob, I've been remiss in following your journey. Tonight I felt compelled to catch up with you and am so sorry I wasn't here when you needed encouragement. I have been reading your posts in reverse order on FB and am so amazed by all your planning, your commitment to the journey and so impressed you are persevering. When next you feel the challenges breaking your spirit may you raise yourself up remembering all you have overcome and that we are all rooting for your completing this journey. Stay the course my friend.

Popular posts from this blog

30 days

60 day update