New York it's been nice to know you.

I entered New York along the border of Lake Erie. The climate here is greatly influenced by the lake. In the spring and summer temperature is moderated by the lake and in the fall it stays warm longer for the same reasons. Perfect weather to grow concord grapes. The landscape was dominated by grapevines and vineyards.


Up

My first night I camped at Evangola State Park. A very nice park. There was a spectacular sunset that evening.



From here it was a short day to Buffalo. I did pass through Hamburg NY. There claim to fame is that the hamburger was invented there. I spent two nights at Hostel Buffalo/ Niagra in the theatre district of the city. A very nice hostel nestled down town housing a very deverse clientele. I walked around a bit and wondered over the old architecture. City Hall was spectacular.



Hostel Buffalo/Niagra.








My ride out of Buffalo was going to be interesting. The ACA route follows a coarse through Canada. Being the worldly traveler that I am ,I don't possess a passport. It was up to my sense of direction, Google maps and some excellent advice I received from an online forum. There is an excellent trail system along Lake Erie and the Niagra River. It is disjoint in places and traverses some sketchy areas. along the way I met a west bound cyclo tourist. He had ridden the Erie Canal from Albany to Buffalo and had fought a head wind the entire way. That means a tail for me?  It was recommended to cross over to Grande Isle and enjoy the scenic quiet roads off the mainland. I started up the approach to this incredibly tall bridge. The cross wind was howling, the sidewalk was just barely wide enough for my bike and panniers and I wasn't even in the air yet when I chickened out and backed back down the approach to hard ground. It wasn't that bad a ride to Niagra Falls State Park. If you have never been you should go. I had never been. I rode and walked to as many sights as I could. I even went on the maid of the Mist. That night I stayed at another hostel, the Wanderlust Hostel Niagra Falls. 

In the morning I had a text from a co-worker, Sandy Brock, that she was coming to Niagra that day and wanted to meet up somewhere. Lockport was the most convenient place. After a couple of text there she was. I can't begin to tell you how fantastic it was to see Sandy. I've always enjoy her company, witty, sharp, funny, personal. We talked for a while and while we were standing there the locks passed several ships , 2 up,1 down on one lift. None of us had ever seen this before. Very interesting.




It was time to part ways. Sandy and her friend headed to Niagra and me on down the canal. After Sandy left I was saddened. It was hard to see a small piece of home after 90 days on the road. Momentarily, maybe a little longer a little home sickness set on. I'm getting there it won't be long now.

On down the Erie Canal trail I headed. The trail is crushed, packed stone dust. Mostly the surface is smooth. Smooth but soft. Oh and that tail wind I was supposed to have, the weather turned, and yes I now had a head wind. Between the wind and the soft surface this wasn't easy. My trail buddy from Buffalo was right. 50 miles is a good day with those conditions. I couldn't make my planned destination for the night so I wild camped. First of the trip. The next day was another hard day. 57 miles to Palmyra and the end of my time on the canal. 

The next day started my trek north to Lake Ontario. Finally real roads again. Climbing,turning, descending and moving around on the bike. Give me back my varied terrain, keep the flats!  The hills reminded me of Missouri. Oh wait a minute. My trail buddy Doug Morse grew up in upstate NY and one time he commented about how much Missouri hills reminded him of home. I quess he was right. Apple trees dominated the area near Lake Ontario. Like the grapes before, now apple trees as far as the eye can see. 

Into everyone's life a little rain must fall. I knew it was going to rain the next day. I decided to hotel it so at least I would start the day dry. That was the only time I was dry. It rained. Lightly, drizzle,that solid mist and when it decided to come down it did. There was nothing to do but get wet and ride. Usually I'll stop every now and then just to get off the bike... Not today. Just ride. It finally got to the point where I had to stop. At a cross road only 12 miles from my final destination I just had to stop. At a convenience store I bought a drink and a small fresh baked pie to eat. I was soaked and the AC was on, it was to cold inside. Back outside to huddle in a corner and hope the rain would let up alittle. Right. Just get back on and ride. An hour later in town I shopped for dinner and some warmer clothes and headed up the road to Stysh's Big Brown Barn Campground and a dry spot for the night.

I have been lucky and camped at two funky spots. One the Stysh's and the other the Blue Mountain Lake Inn. 

I was greeted by Stysh and told to set up in the barn. What a place. An old dairy barn turned into a reception venue. The walls are covered in old farm implements and other farm tools. Beams covered in Christmas lights and other eclectic items made for an interesting place to stay. 

The sign infront of of the Blue Mountain Inn said tent space available. Why pedal farther to the state campground when this was available. The Inn is run by a young women, Meredith. Her dream is to keep this old inn alive and keep and the old tradition of this inn moving forward. 







Next ahead I was warned of the Adirondacks . Real mountains big hills. 
The climb out of Blue MTN Inn was immediate and steep. A precursor of what was to come. Up over the mountain to Long Lake. A good climb, challenging but nothing unstoppable. On to Blue ridge road and North Hudson. Food options are few along the way. I planned to camp after the big climbs and finish Saturday with a short ride to Ticondaroga. I felt good and decided to push through n to Ticondaroga in one day. It was a solid ride . 72 miles and a little morr then 4300' of verticle was a challenging ride and a good way to end my time in the great state of New York. A well deserved day off before tackling the final stretch thru Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.


Comments

Anonymous said…
so wonderful to see your travels and hear about it. I understand being homesick. I do not like the Wizard of Oz, but Dorothy was right. "There's no place like home" no matter how elegant or humble. Stay safe, the end is now in sight. Love Sandy
Anonymous said…
Hoo Hah! New York, now Vermont, NH in a day or so. You'll be closer to home on Monday than you have been in months. Saw your pic of the Shoreham Inn - memories... Keep trucking Bob. You're almost there! XO Fred.

Popular posts from this blog

Not such a smooth ride

30 days

60 day update