Why I ride.

My last three rides have all been great rides. One was wet and cold. I was miserable the entire ride. It was great because I was riding to see my girl Fred.

My next to rides were the perfect examples off  why I love to ride my bike. After a fantastic afternoon at the laundry mat and breakfast together with Kathy the next morning it was time to ride.  The day started brisk,quickly warming into the 60's. Shortly after starting the road turned to dirt. After yesterday's rain the surface had a nice green sheen. Slicker then a witches t&# in June. Up the road aways after the surface had changed to broken black top and a quick descent. The first cover bridge of the day. My route followed the Connecticut River Valley north on state and local roads through some of the most beautiful countryside that I have seen. Maybe it's bias but New England is special. I had to climb for a considerable distance. I enjoyed it all. At low speed so much more is experienced.

The reward for all that climbing? An exhilarating down hill. 7 to 12° decline, twisting turns into a hard 180° banked left hand turn followed immediately by a right turn into a short steep climb. Heaven!

What goes down must go up. And it did. This is New Hampshire after all. I was joined by a couple of cyclist and we chatted till the grade steepened. At the top the Appalachian trail crossed the road. I stopped. Two through hikers had there gear spread out to dry. We compared notes. They started before me and won't finish till after me. That's a long hike. We were all impressed by each other's adventure.

Finished with a fast downhill onto town this epic ride had to end.

After a day off to miss a line of thunderstorms it was time to attack the Kancamagus Highway. Another perfect day 50's and 60s , blue skies, light breejze and a nine mile climb. Only to 2800' and I was concerned. I don't know why. I have been to 10.000' ft. three times and 11,000' ft. once. Climbed 5600' in one day and I was going to let this bother me. Why?

It wasn't easy with grades to 9°. At this point I enjoy the effort needed for the push. Will I miss this feeling when I'm done.

From the gap the view is great. Colors are starting to show. The change of seasons is upon us.

Your reward from the top is a six mile fast ride down. The ride to town was short and the day to nice to hurry. There are many places to stop and see. One, a barn erected in 2003. I was there one day at the barn raising while enjoying a mountain bike with the Jinxberry. It was cool to see the finished barn 16 years later. Another stop was at a set of pools on a mountain stream a short way from the road

The day ended at a hostel in Conway.

When I reflect back on the last two days my motto comes to mind.

"Long live long rides"









Comments

Anonymous said…
And on Monday it was torrential downpours! So much prettier in the sunshine. Glad you had good weather. Almost there! Another few days and your journey will be complete. Bittersweet? Can't wait to see you on the finish line. Love, YGF.

Popular posts from this blog

Not such a smooth ride

30 days

60 day update